[Simh] Request for PDP-10 help for DEUNA validation

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Jan 26 14:56:12 EST 2011

Don't know about the source of your rumor, but here are a few facts:

With respect to DEC OSs:
 - I started, but never finished a midnight-engineering TOPS-10 driver for
the DEUNA on the KS10.  None was ever released by DEC.
 - To my knowledge, there never was a TOPS-20 DEUNA driver, although the
development group used a 3COM board on the KS10 when developing DECnet for
TOPS0-20 on the KL.  I don't believe it was released, though it might have
shown up on a source kit.
 - The KS10 officially used KDP (KMC11+DUP11) synchronous interfaces for
both TOPS-10 & TOPS-20 DECnet.  KMC11 was the same microprocessor used in
the DMC, but with loadable microcode.  In the KDP, it acted as a DMA engine
for the DUP.  56K sync was about the limit with a null (sync) modem; of
course leased line modems of the day were slower.
 - I created a DMR11 driver for TOPS-10 (but not TOPS-20); the DMR ran
happily at megabaud rates on fiber.
 - The KL10 used the NIA20 ethernet interface (both TOPS-10 and TOPS-20).
Prior to that, device, a PDP-11 front end running an RSX variant (called
MCB) provided a synchronous interface for DECnet-20.  The hardware in the
MCB was DMC11; the interface between the PDP-11 and the KL is a DTE20.
Prior to that, DEC supported the AN10 IMP interface on TOPS-20.  There was a
customer-developed driver for TOPS-10.
 - Simh doesn't support any of these networking interfaces.  (KLH10 does
support both the NIA20 and the DTE20.)

I'm not an ITS person, but I think I heard that ITS had a KS10 DEUNA driver.
Other than that, I don't think you'll find a PDP-10 simh client for the
deuna.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.