[Simh] Resizing the system disk

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Sun Oct 10 07:43:16 EDT 2010

The resize command to run outside VMS is called "VAX/VMS Standalone backup" and runs on the emulated VAX.

Standalone backup manual pages showing the process on http://h30266.www3.hp.com/odl/vax/opsys/vmsos73/vmsos73/6017/6017pro_050.html
(but there's lots of details there you should just gloss over).

Start off with the current system disk image, and an empty "new system disk image" of the size you want.

In SIMH, attach the old one under, say, DUA0: and the new one under DUA1:.

Boot into Standalone backup. Then do BACKUP/IMAGE DUA0: DUA1:

Now DUA1 is bootable.

This is "unofficially but widely accepted as" doable without standalone backup (from a running but quiet VMS system) if you do BACKUP/IMAGE/IGNORE=INTERLOCK from the running system disk.

BTW, 1.5 Gig is surely big enough for any VAX/VMS System disk. User and data files should go on other disks.

Tim.