[Simh] late versions of TOPS-20 on SimH [was Re: CDC 6600]

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Wed Jul 7 18:13:18 EDT 2010

> Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 17:38:00 +0200
> From: Sergiusz Jarczyk <sjarczyk at gmail.com>

> As I plan to contribute to Simh as a hobbyist solely (business needs
> of my employee would eventually only help), I was wondering about the
> PDP10 part. I'd love to see full stack of TOPS-20 running on Simh,
> including networking, but there is a great KLH10, so it makes no much
> sense...

The SimH PDP-10 emulation is only a KS-10.  Although there was a port of
TOPS-20 v5.4 to that platform, it was not widely available, and support
for it dropped more than 25 years ago (as the principal in the project
informed me when I asked about it several years ago).  TOPS-20 v4.1 is the
last version which DEC supported.

It's a jim-dandy Tops-10 platform, on the other hand, running v7.04 like a
champ.

If you want to play with TOPS-20 networking, you really do want a KL-10
processor or an emulator of same, so KLH10 is the only way to go, unless
you're intimately familiar with the KL-10 hardware and can recreate it in a
simulation.

                                                                Rich