[Simh] SIMH on Windows CE

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 12:22:52 EST 2010

> Hello!
> I quite agree Ian. Jason when was the last time you were inside a
> Borders, or even the Cable TV office?
I'll have to confess, I don't have cable tv, nor have I paid attention
to the kiosks.. however after talking with friends, you really can't
beat the x86 platform... Although for work we do make these SH3
devices, but we are going to be moving away from those to x86
boards... You know speed/price etc etc.. It's hard to compete with the
intel beast.

 Both are using thin clients made
> by HP for either paying the cable bill or ordering new service, or
> assisting the reader in finding their favorite novels in either e-book
> form or hardcover. They are running CE5.0. (For X86) Even though 6 and
> 6.2 have been available for most of this year, most vendors haven't
> latched on to it, figuring they'd wait and see what deity awful mess
> that firm makes of their new Phone OS.
I shouldn't say it, but we still use 3.0 ... lol  Although we have
debates on the merits of moving to 4.2  ... we aren't exactly on the
bleeding edge.

> However to continue working with the tools and the rest, I am afraid
> you might not be able to make things work via QUEMU. You might
> actually need to track down a Windows box for it, unless you do have a
> laptop or some such to make things work.

So far, my Qemu CEPC seems to work fine, it emulates the much needed
NE2000 so that's been a MAJOR plus... I do have a P4 2.8Ghz board with
ISA slots, so I'll have to find me a NE2000 ... Or see about finding
an 8129 driver source (it's basically a PCI ne2000)... I've found and
fixed a IDE driver so mounting the local disk makes things so much
easier to deal with.. Not to mention you need the local disk to store
your SIMH disks, as the CE model storage model on the CEPC means that
all changes are blasted away between reboots... which isn't that
practical.

Which reminds me, I'll have to see if I have the winsock stuff
working, and test with the PDP-11 or VAX to see if I can detach the
console, as I imagine most people with an 'embedded' version of SIMH
would be managing it remotely...?
> -----
> Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
> "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."

Cheers!