[Simh] help with 7090 simulation

Richard Cornwell skyvis at sky-visions.com
Tue Dec 7 16:51:05 EST 2010

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 14:26:05 -0700
Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:

> In article <20101207155728.64f5dbb0 at elf.local>,
>     Richard Cornwell <skyvis at sky-visions.com> writes:
>
> >   I can't help much with Bob's 7090 sim, however mine is available
> > at http://sky-visions.com/ibm near the bottom of page. This works
> > with current SimH, just drop I7000 into simH directory and type
> > make.
>
> Well, I'm on Windows so typing "make" isn't going to do anything
> useful out of the box.  Do you have a windows binary already built?

  I have no prebuilt binaries. Although all my tapes and manuals should
  work just as well with Bob's sim as mine. I gave up windows a couple
  years ago so I don't have box to even compile it on :-).

> > > Ultimately my goal is to get MACRO-FAP assembled on the 7090
> > > simulator so that I can experiment with its behavior.  I found an
> > > assembly listing for it at:
> >
> >    No need to bother. This is already gened on system tape images.
>
> Do you have any documentation for MACRO FAP?  I'm only getting into
> this because I want to build an implementation of BEFLIX, which is
> apparently implemented through MACRO FAP.  The BEFLIX sample code that
> I have uses the IFF pseudodirective for MACRO FAP and the MACRO
> directive.  That's why I want to play with MACRO FAP, to understand
> these directives.

    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/7090/C28-6235-5_FAP_Apr65.pdf

    This is the FAP manual. (Page 19, or PDF page 25 for psuedo)

    IFF is a weird directive.

    IFF p,a,b
    line

    If p is not 0 and a identical to b, assemble next line.
    If p is 0 and a is not identical to b, assemble next line.
    p is expression, a and b are symbols, or numbers.

    Operations that do not generate code are skipped. So comment lines
    following will be copied regardless.

    If BEFLIX is written in 7090 FAP, feel free to privately email me
    a copy and I will make it available with other 7090 stuff I have.
    The JCL you want is as follow: (Note FAP will only read from tape
    input not cards, you will need to get this into simh/p7b format
    BCD tape to run it.). One line per tape record.

$EXECUTE       FORTRAN
*     ID       BEFLIX
*     XEQ
*     FAP
      COUNT    #
-----< Your FAP program >---------
*     DATA
EOF

       # is approximate number of cards in your FAP program.

Rich

Richard Cornwell
skyvis at sky-visions.com
http://sky-visions.com