[Simh] help with 7090 simulation

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Tue Dec 7 17:18:42 EST 2010

In article <20101207165105.0c0e9689 at elf.local>,
    Richard Cornwell <skyvis at sky-visions.com> writes:

>     http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/7090/C28-6235-5_FAP_Apr65.pdf
>
>     This is the FAP manual. (Page 19, or PDF page 25 for psuedo)

Thanks!  I asked on cctalk and that didn't turn up.

>     IFF is a weird directive.

Indeed.

>     If BEFLIX is written in 7090 FAP, [...]

Well, it *is* written in 7090 MACRO FAP, but I don't have a source
listing for BEFLIX, only a paper describing the commands in its
language.  I realize now that the "commands" are not really a native
language at all, but instead are FAP macros that expand into something
that implements BEFLIX operations.  At some point Ken Knowlton, the
creator of BEFLIX, turned it into a FORTRAN subroutine library, at
which point I find the language gets less interesting.

However, the language is interesting and has historical significance
in computer graphics for being one of (if not *the*) first domain
specific languages for generating graphics and animations.