[Simh] help with 7090 simulation

Richard Cornwell skyvis at sky-visions.com
Tue Dec 7 15:57:28 EST 2010

Hi,

> This is a little weird, but I'm interested in trying out the 7090
> simulation in SIMH even though I've never used a 7090.
>
> Unfortunately the FAQ link on simh.trailing-edge.org doesn't work.
> <http://simh.trailing-edge.com/simh_faq.txt>
>
> I downloaded the Windows binaries and unzipped them.  Then I unzipped
> the 7090 IBSYS package into the same folder.  I started i7094.exe and
> did "do do_ibsys.txt".  At that point I'm left with a few messages I
> don't understand and the simulator doesn't appear to be responding to
> input.

  I can't help much with Bob's 7090 sim, however mine is available at
  http://sky-visions.com/ibm near the bottom of page. This works with
  current SimH, just drop I7000 into simH directory and type make. This
  will also give you sims for almost all the IBM 7000 series machines.

   Also check out my IBSYS page:

   http://sky-visions.com/ibm/ibsys.html

   Tapes for pretty much everything that is currently available for
   IBSYS are available here, along with sample jobs.

> sim> do do_ibsys.txt
> Could Not Find C:\tmp\simh\punch.*
> The syntax of the command is incorrect.
> sysin.txt: No such file or directory
> CDR: unit is read only
> CDP: creating new file
> MTA: creating new file
> MTA: creating new file
> MTA: creating new file
> MTA: creating new file
> MTA: creating new file
> MTA: creating new file
> MTA: creating new file
> MTA: creating new file

   IBSYS is a batch system. There is no input from console. Only input
   comes from card reader or input magnetic tape. I have many sample
   jobs on my site, however most are in Fortran II or IV. I also have
   links to revelant manuals on bitsavers, so you don't have to figure
   out which version is correct one.

> Ultimately my goal is to get MACRO-FAP assembled on the 7090 simulator
> so that I can experiment with its behavior.  I found an assembly
> listing for it at:

   No need to bother. This is already gened on system tape images.

   After I get CTSS stable I will go update these web pages to add some
   more info and some detailed instruction on how to set up a job
   stream. Along with CTSS and some new Lisp 1.5 stuff.

Rich

Richard Cornwell
skyvis at sky-visions.com
http://sky-visions.com