[Simh] Re : Disk number restriction

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Thu Sep 24 16:58:57 EDT 2009

> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:12:08 +0000 (GMT)
> From: patrick renouvel <prenouvel at yahoo.fr>

> Hi Rich,

> Tha for your answer,

> The system is a VAX/VMS

> But perhaps am i workin with a old SimH version  :-(

> Thanks a lot.

> Patrick.

Patrick,

The oldest version of SimH I have easy access to is 2.10, and even there the
VAX simulator supports 4 RQDX3 devices (RQ, RQB, RQC, RQD) and an RLV12 (RL =
RL01/RL02), each of which can support up to 4 disks.  At some point, the 780
simulator added the RP (RP04/05/06/07 and RM02/03/05/80 Massbus disks) and HK
(RK611 with RK06/07 drives)) devices with 8 each of their respective drives.

Take a look at the documentation for the VAX simulator, under section 2 (VAX
Features), to see what disks, and how many, are allowed.  Or just type the
command "show config" at the simulator prompt, to see what devices are
available and whether they are enabled.

Good luck!

                                                                Rich