[Simh] GDT

tiggerlasv at aim.com tiggerlasv at aim.com
Wed Oct 7 04:07:15 EDT 2009

> OK, while we're on the subject of Dungeon, I'd like to bring up an old
> mystery...
> Why is the key to the GDT password transformation
"SUPNIK,BARNEY,70524"?
> Is/was there a "Barney Supnik" in Louisiana?  Or maybe "SUPNIK" and
> "BARNEY" are two surnames?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Our version (which I have yet to stumble across out in the wild) had
this -

GDT

A booming voice calls out:  "To prove your worthiness, you must answer
the following challenge."

FBQSYX

Response>

If you didn't get it right, it would come back and say something like
"Wrong, cretin !"
and some other stuff, then finish with. . . .  "you notice that you've
turned to a pile of dust" . . .
. . .  or something similar.

To get the translation, you would run over to another terminal,
run Dungeon, and type in   INCANT, FBQSYX

. . . and it would come back with "A booming voice calls out". . .
. . .  and it would give you the proper response. . .   so you'd run
back over
to your other terminal, and type in the response. . .    ;-)

Ah, the good ol' days.   ;-)