[Simh] Seventh Edition Unix on Simh

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 15:30:13 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Tom Manos <tmanos at concursive.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in learning more about Seventh Edition Unix, and
> started by trying to install it on SIMH PDP-11. Unfortunately, I could
> not get that to work using any set of instructions and disk images I
> could find by reading the docs and searching the web, so I eventually
> set it up using the Interdata 8/32 simulator. I'm using the following:
> Interdata 32b simulator V3.8-1 [32b data, 32b addresses, no Ethernet].
> This seems to work fine.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. I would really like to be running on PDP-11. Is there a set of
> instructions and disk images that work? Where?

I'm going to use this one:
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/kits/uv7swre.zip

So first I'm going to create some temp directory and place my pdp-11 exe
there....

Then let's unzip the zip file..

C:\Temp\uv7>unzip \Users\jsteve\Downloads\uv7swre.zip
Archive:  /Users/jsteve/Downloads/uv7swre.zip
  inflating: AncientUnix.pdf
  inflating: unix_v7_rl.dsk
  inflating: README.txt

Now I'm going to create a small ini file, and put the following into it:

set cpu u18
set tto 7b
att rl unix_v7_rl.dsk
boot rl

With that done we can boot!

PDP-11 simulator V3.8-1
Disabling XQ
@

Now with the boot block executed, we load the boot programme:

@boot
New Boot, known devices are hp ht rk rl rp tm vt
:

>From here we specify our kernel:

 : rl(0,0)rl2unix
mem = 177856
#

We are now dropped into single user mode.  I'd probably change the root
password.

# passwd root

Anyways hitting control+d will kill the single user shell and bring it up in
multi user:

# Restricted rights: Use, duplication, or disclosure
is subject to restrictions stated in your contract with
Western Electric Company, Inc.
Thu Sep 22 05:49:24 EDT 1988
login:

> 2. I would like to telnet in to the V7 system, but am having trouble
> making it work after reading the docs. Can someone point me to a good
> set of instructions, or show me how to set up SIMH and the 8/32 to
> allow telnet?
>

>From what I understand here: http://www.ljosa.com/~ljosa/v7-dz11
You are going to have to rebuild a kernel to enable the dz support... I'll
have to try that later.  But this should be enough to boot up.

You can also check out this page:
http://homepages.fh-giessen.de/~hg53/pdp11-unix/

> Thanks,
> Tom