[Simh] Seventh Edition Unix on Simh

Tom Manos tmanos at concursive.com
Tue Oct 6 14:20:11 EDT 2009

Jason,

Thanks for the pointer for installing V7 on pdp-11. I'm not sure how I
screwed that one up (multiple times), but this sure worked.

All,

After getting it installed, I decided that I like the Interdata port
better, even though the source tree is not included.

So... now I'm trying to get the telnet interface to the PAS device
running. I've set it up with the following commands:

set ttp ena
set pas devno=12
att pas 23000
att -e dp0 iu7_dp0.dsk
att -e dp1 iu7_dp1.dsk
boot dp0

It boots up and runs fine, but when I telnet to localhost on port
23000, I get...

Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.

Connected to the Interdata 32b simulator PAS device, line 0

...and then it freezes. I can see the connection from the simh
console, but get no activity on the telnet side. What am I missing?

Cheers,
Tom

On Oct 5, 2009, at 3:30 PM, Jason Stevens wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Tom Manos <tmanos at concursive.com>
> wrote:
> I'm interested in learning more about Seventh Edition Unix, and
> started by trying to install it on SIMH PDP-11. Unfortunately, I could
> not get that to work using any set of instructions and disk images I
> could find by reading the docs and searching the web, so I eventually
> set it up using the Interdata 8/32 simulator. I'm using the following:
> Interdata 32b simulator V3.8-1 [32b data, 32b addresses, no Ethernet].
> This seems to work fine.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. I would really like to be running on PDP-11. Is there a set of
> instructions and disk images that work? Where?
>
> I'm going to use this one:
> http://simh.trailing-edge.com/kits/uv7swre.zip
>
> So first I'm going to create some temp directory and place my pdp-11
> exe there....
>
> Then let's unzip the zip file..
>
> C:\Temp\uv7>unzip \Users\jsteve\Downloads\uv7swre.zip
> Archive:  /Users/jsteve/Downloads/uv7swre.zip
>   inflating: AncientUnix.pdf
>   inflating: unix_v7_rl.dsk
>   inflating: README.txt
>
> Now I'm going to create a small ini file, and put the following into
> it:
>
> set cpu u18
> set tto 7b
> att rl unix_v7_rl.dsk