[Simh] Errors when using pUTTY terminal emulator to telnet tosimh.

Howard M. Harte hharte at hartetechnologies.com
Thu May 28 21:05:50 EDT 2009

On May 28, 2009, at 10:46 AM, shoppa at trailing-edge.com (Tim Shoppa)
wrote:

> "Hittner, David T (IS)" <david.hittner at ngc.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, PuTTY is free, but it's not real accurate in the application
>> keypad emulation - I've never been able to use it effectively for
>> keypad-based editing. I've thought about volunteering to help fix it,
>> but have never had the time and/or sanity with two young children :-)
>
> I like putty when the keypad doesn't matter. e.g. ssh'ing into a
> Linux box when the fanciest editors I use are vi or ed. But it's
> not a solution for something under VMS or RT-11 or RSTE/E
> expecting a real keypad or a Gold key. (It is OK for emulating
> a KSR33...)

PuTTY is open-source, so could be improved if someone was inclined to
work on it.  For most purposes today, it seems like "xterm" emulation
is all that's really cared about unfortunately.

MS-DOS kermit works on Windows, at least for serial mode, not sure
about networking.  But it has been getting slower and slower since
Win2k.  I think the DOS COM port emulation was really crippled in
WinXP, and probably worse in Vista.  I doubt anyone cares enough at
MSFT to fix it in Win7.

-Howard