[Simh] Errors when using pUTTY terminal emulator to telnet to simh.

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Thu May 28 18:38:04 EDT 2009

> The only thing on a Microsoft platform that comes remotely close to
> correct non-frustrating VT emulation is
> MS-DOS Kermit. It even maps the Gold key (aka PF1) correctly. This
> is incredibly important for those of us who actually like EDT. I know
> I just painted myself into a really tiny corner by admitting that I
> like EDT.

I used to love EDT, at one time I think the keypad layout was ingrained in
my fingers. Even though it is more than 20 years since I used EDT seriously
I can still remember most of it. I remember really hating vi (and I still
do).

> But that also means that I'm also really really picky and exacting
> about
> terminal emulation. The Gold key is supposed to be where God intended
> it to be, damn it, not what some loser later called the Num Lock key!
>
> xterm with a DEC keyboard (they are available for PC-clones, at least
> PS/2,
> don't know about USB) can be pretty good under Linux, but IMHO still
> not
> as good as MS-DOS Kermit.

I use HypterTerm at the moment which is passable and seems to emulate the
GOLD key to some extent but I have not really invested the time to check it
out properly. I looked around for a copy of MS-DOS Kermit a while ago but I
have not been able to find it, I was not aware that it had TCP/IP support as
I only ever used it over serial lines. Can anyone point me at a suitable
copy?

Regards

Rob