[Simh] Errors when using pUTTY terminal emulator to telnet tosimh.

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Thu May 28 13:46:44 EDT 2009

"Hittner, David T (IS)" <david.hittner at ngc.com> wrote:
> Yeah, PuTTY is free, but it's not real accurate in the application
> keypad emulation - I've never been able to use it effectively for
> keypad-based editing. I've thought about volunteering to help fix it,
> but have never had the time and/or sanity with two young children :-)

I like putty when the keypad doesn't matter. e.g. ssh'ing into a
Linux box when the fanciest editors I use are vi or ed. But it's
not a solution for something under VMS or RT-11 or RSTE/E
expecting a real keypad or a Gold key. (It is OK for emulating
a KSR33...)

I think after some era, the terminal emulator writers for the most
part stopped trying to emulate real terminals and instead just were emulating
previous terminal emulations. Wonder if this will happen for CPU
emulators too? :-). I think the documentation of all the woes and
intrigues involved with emulating obscure CPU's to the point where OS's
and applications work will be vital for future generations trying to
carry on the emulation work.

Tim.