[Simh] Errors when using pUTTY terminal emulator to telnet tosimh.

Hittner, David T (IS) david.hittner at ngc.com
Thu May 28 13:01:16 EDT 2009

>> All those terminal emulators are semi-usable but really pretty rotten
>> compared to a real VT100 or VT220.

The most accurate Windows VT terminal emulators that I have used are:
	Digital Pathworks32's PowerTerm 525 (licensed from Ericom)
	Kermit-95
These work for me 95%+ of the time. Especially if you can find an old
LK411 or LK450 PC keyboard :-) Even without those specialized PC
keyboards, I can use EDT, TECO, etc. on a normal PC keyboard; I just
lose one keypad function (DEL word in EDT), since the standard PC
keyboard has the double-sized "+" key instead of the two keys of a real
VT keyboard.

When using a terminal emulator with SIMH, one of the most important
parts is getting the number of bits and parity correct. As you all know,
various OS's use different parity and number of bits for serial
communications. A few versions ago, SIMH implemented much tighter serial
parity/bits options (7N, 7P, 8N, etc.) than had previously been done,
specifically to get past terminal emulation problems that cause failure.
Take a look at the parity/bit settings on the serial line, and try to
match it up with your terminal emulator software - just matching these
up can help a lot. Also, many terminal emulators can be set to provide
different Answerback ID's - that is, when sent a "what are you?"
message, they can be set to give a different result.

Yeah, PuTTY is free, but it's not real accurate in the application
keypad emulation - I've never been able to use it effectively for
keypad-based editing. I've thought about volunteering to help fix it,
but have never had the time and/or sanity with two young children :-)

> Agreed.  All terminal emulators handle basic character positioning and
> simple attributes, but it seems that every emulator has some facet
> that just doesn't perform the same as a real terminal.

True dat. :-p

Dave