[Simh] Hello and a noobish question about networking

Andrew Warkentin andreww591 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 20:29:50 EST 2009

Michael Kerpan wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Tim Pinkawa <timpinkawa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Check out the Ubuntu JeOS (Just Enough OS) server edition. It has a
>> minimal number of packages and a limited number of kernel modules to
>> support VM hardware. The kernel package was less than half the size of
>> the normal server kernel package and the entire installed footprint
>> out of the box is under 400 MB with SSH enabled. If anyone is
>> interested in building a SIMH appliance, this would probably be a good
>> starting point.
>>

> I'll have to look at that. I just finished doing a basic debian
> install. It's a bit heavier than that, but then again, I installed the
> whole GCC stack in order to compile SIMH, as well as some basic X11
> stuff that I'll hopefully figure out a way to use as a "remote" X
> display for DECwindows. Assuming I can get everything to work
> properly, the whole thing SHOULD be about as close to an emulated
> VAXstation as anybody's ever come.

That sounds like overkill to me. If you just want to use the networking
for IP-based guest-to-host stuff like X11, the easiest thing to do would
be to use the SLiRP patch. That patch changes SIMH networking to use a
virtual internal "router" instead of attaching to a physical network
interface. With the patch, the host system is easily accessible from the
  guest. The disadvantage is that the guest system does not have an IP
address visible to anything but the internal router, and therefore it
isn't possible to connect from the host to a server on the guest.