[Simh] Hello and a noobish question about networking

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Wed Jan 21 10:49:22 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Tim Pinkawa <timpinkawa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Check out the Ubuntu JeOS (Just Enough OS) server edition. It has a
> minimal number of packages and a limited number of kernel modules to
> support VM hardware. The kernel package was less than half the size of
> the normal server kernel package and the entire installed footprint
> out of the box is under 400 MB with SSH enabled. If anyone is
> interested in building a SIMH appliance, this would probably be a good
> starting point.

I'll have to look at that. I just finished doing a basic debian
install. It's a bit heavier than that, but then again, I installed the
whole GCC stack in order to compile SIMH, as well as some basic X11
stuff that I'll hopefully figure out a way to use as a "remote" X
display for DECwindows. Assuming I can get everything to work
properly, the whole thing SHOULD be about as close to an emulated
VAXstation as anybody's ever come.

Actually, speaking of emulated VAXstations, does anybody know if it
would be possible to add framebuffer emulation to SIMH's VAX code?
While such a task would, obviously, be outside the scope of the SIMH
project itself, it WOULD certainly be a cool thing to have, assuming
it could be done without too much rewriting.

Mike