[Simh] Hello and a noobish question about networking

Tim Pinkawa timpinkawa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 15:17:05 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Marc Chametzky <marc at bluevine.net> wrote:
> To do this, I'm not going to run it on Solaris as I have been, but
> instead install the server version of Ubuntu in what you describe as a
> bare bones installation. I'll need to add a bunch to the installation in
> order to get SIMH compiled and running, but I won't need to have the
> Gnome GUI or any of the other stuff in the OS that's not needed for SIMH.

Check out the Ubuntu JeOS (Just Enough OS) server edition. It has a
minimal number of packages and a limited number of kernel modules to
support VM hardware. The kernel package was less than half the size of
the normal server kernel package and the entire installed footprint
out of the box is under 400 MB with SSH enabled. If anyone is
interested in building a SIMH appliance, this would probably be a good
starting point.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/jeos