[Simh] Hello and a noobish question about networking

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Tue Jan 20 09:40:30 EST 2009

Markus Ruggiero wrote:
> Haven't done this yet but one possibility could be running SIMH within a
> virtual machine. This could be a minimum bare bones Linux without GUI.
> Networking should then "just work" because all the TUN/TAP stuff would
> then be handled by VMWare or whatever else one uses to virtualize.

I'm about to set something like this up next month. I'm migrating my
existing Solaris box to a new server running under the free ESXi
hypervisor. One of the reasons I'm doing this is that I don't like the
way that SIMH's VAX consumes 100% of the CPU as part of its emulation.
By running it in ESXi, I can help limit the amount of CPU it will get to
spin its wheels when it's idle.

To do this, I'm not going to run it on Solaris as I have been, but
instead install the server version of Ubuntu in what you describe as a
bare bones installation. I'll need to add a bunch to the installation in
order to get SIMH compiled and running, but I won't need to have the
Gnome GUI or any of the other stuff in the OS that's not needed for SIMH.

--Marc