[Simh] simh and tap device under linux

Vorländer, Martin MV at pdv-systeme.de
Mon Aug 24 02:51:36 EDT 2009

> > Also on SIMH make sure your 'ethernet is bound...
>
> > sim> show xq eth
> With a freshly-built PDP-11 emulater (3.8-1):
>
> gcc -std=c99 -U__STRICT_ANSI__ -g -lrt -lm -D_GNU_SOURCE -I .
> sim_ether.c sim_tape.c -DVM_PDP11 -I PDP11 -DUSE_NETWORK
> -isystem /usr/local/include /usr/local/lib/libpcap.a -o BIN/pdp11
>
> I'm seeing the following behaviour:
>
> $ BIN/pdp11
>
> PDP-11 simulator V3.8-1
> sim> show xq eth
> ETH devices:
> no network devices are available
> sim>
> What am I missing in the docs and where do I find it?

libpcap works by switching the ethernet card into promiscuous mode
and sorting out the packets destined for SIMH. Under Linux, it needs
root access to be able to do that. So, what does it say when you

$ sudo BIN/pdp11

?

cu,
Martin
--
 O Lord, won't you buy me     | Martin Vorlaender  |  OpenVMS rules!
 an HP OS                     | work: mv at pdv-systeme.de
 its name starts with "Open"  |   http://vms.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
 and ends in "VMS" ...        | home: martin.vorlaender at t-online.de