[Simh] Getting to the 780 console prompt

Knudsen, Ole Ole.Knudsen at hp.com
Thu Apr 23 08:55:44 EDT 2009

Hi,

In the past I ran diagnosis on the 11/780. It is true, that they could be loaded from the console, but we was primarily running from the system disk.

All diagnostics files was copied to [sysmaint] on the system disk, diagboot.exe {as I remember} was the secondary boot file.

Boot /r5:10 would boot into the diagnostic supervisor (DS>) from where all diagnostics could be loaded and started in standalone mode.

http://vt100.net/mirror/hcps/ds780ug2.pdf shows how to test the 11/780.

It will not be possible to run micro diagnostic on the emulator, they are based on specific microrutines loaded into the hardware, they are testing isolated part of the logic without executing VAX instructions.

Best regards

Ole Knudsen