[Simh] PDP-11, RSTS/E, DECnet/E 4.1, DELQA

Wilm Boerhout w781 at planet.nl
Mon Apr 13 01:49:05 EDT 2009

tiggerlasv at aim.com vaguely mentioned on 13-4-2009 1:53:

> Let's see.   What else could it be. . . .
>
> I've not messed with DZ emulation before.
>
> The DZ on the Unibus has more than 4 ports.
>
> The DZ on the Q-bus (DZV11) is only 4 ports per device.
>
> Can you try disabling the DZ emulation,
> and enable a more "modern" emulation, such as:
>
> SET VH ENABLED
> ATT VH0 10000
>
> (Then disable the DZ emulation, and try starting RSTS.   No need for
> SYSGEN)
>
> With Simh, I've found it very helpful to disable every emulation
> that I'm not using.   Some of the massbus emulations mess with
> some of the tape controllers, for example.
>
> Do a SHO DEV in Simh, and see what is still enabled.
>
> If you're just doing basic operations, you can pare the system down
> quite a bit.   ( I even pull out modules during the Simh compile, to
> cut down on the size of the emulator. . . .)
>
> Really, all you need for basic interaction is:
>
> CLK
> TTI
> TTO
>
> and your disks/tapes/comm.
>
> For example, after I run my Simh startup file,
> a (simh) SHO DEV on my PC will return:
>
> CPU, 11/73, NOCIS, idle disabled, autoconfiguration on, 4088KB
> CLK, 60hz, address=blahblabblah
> TTI, address=blahblahblah
> TTO, address=blahblahblah
> VH0, etc. . .
> RQ, etc. . .
> TQ, etc. . .
> XQ, etc. . .
>
> That's pretty much it.   Everything else can be disabled,
> particularly the RHA and RHB adapters. . .
>
> Here is a .ZIP file with the executable that I use regularly.
>
> Note:   This is a pared-down version, and only supports
> the CPU's, and the following devices:  LPT, VH, RL, RQ, TQ, and XQ.
>
> (Note:  The RA70 emulation has been removed,
> so I could add a custom disk size.)
>
> Give it a shot, and see if it works for you.
>

> Tim
It's working now. It turned out to be a sort of, well, user error. I've
been using the SIMH setup for VAX for quite a while on my home network,
using the xq (DELQA) adapter connected to eth0 which is... my wireless
card. On the VAX, both TCPIP and DECnet work fine.

I transported this setup to the PDP-11 ini file, assuming it would work
because the PDP and VAX share the SIMH xq module.

When I connected the PDP-11 xq to eth1 (my wired connection), things
started to work as expected.

Your pared down version works as well, by the way.

Thanks for helping me sort this out.

/Wilm