[Simh] pdp8 and bin loader.

Ricardo Guerreiro ricguerr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 13:02:23 EDT 2009

Mr Supnik:

Blinking lights always fascinated me. Because of that, I discovered front
panels, and then pdp8 and simh. I have been playing with it, and I
appreciate your effort.

I have a doubt about pdp8 simh simulator regarding loading bin files.

I examined source file, but I am not very good in c programming, so I could
be wrong.

I tryed focal69, but then I realize that the version that comes with simh,
do not display the welcome message.

Trying with other simulators, and other versions of the focal69 bin file,
 I discover that, if a bin file has two sections, (I mean leader data1
header/leader data2 header), simh only reads the first one .

To study the problem, I had to play with several versions of focal69 bin
file that I donwloaded from internet. For example, the one that comes with
simh, the one that come with wineight and one related to vince slyngstad

>From what I could read (in internet, I had no opportunity to be involved
with a real pdp8), the original paper tape of focal69 had at least those two
sections. The bin version one that comes with simh I think is not the
original one, it has only one section.

¿Is this type of pdp8 simh behavior something made on porpose?. If not I
would like to suggest to you to incorporate the facility of reading muli
parts bin files (I mean, ones that have several sections) in a future
version of simh.

Best regards

Ricardo Guerreiro.