[Simh] Recovering VMS Savesets from .tap files

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Sat Apr 4 17:39:52 EDT 2009

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:57:57 +0100, you wrote:

> I have a .tap file that contains VMS BACKUP savesets. I need to get these
> savesets onto a real VAX. Is there a way to do this from the real VAX
> itself? I know I could use the simulated VAX to do this, but the problem is
> then getting the file across to the real VAX. My last attempt to use TCP/IP
> with SIMH was a disaster, the winpcap install trashed my machine and I am
> wary of repeating the experience.

I would boot SIMH with a system disk, an empty data disk and a tape, then I
would restore those savesets from the tape image to the data disk. When
finished I would stop SIMH, transfer the data disk image to the real VAX via
TCP/IP (the working Windows one, not the SIMH one) and finally mount the disk
image on the real VAX using LD (http://www.digiater.nl/lddriver.html).

Please note that the last supported LD version on OpenVMS VAX is V8.3.

HTH, :-)
G.

P.S.: This morning I didn't notice the Reply-To field contents and I sent the
above reply to Robert only. I'm now sending it again to the whole List.