[Simh] Recovering VMS Savesets from .tap files

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Sun Apr 5 02:07:03 EDT 2009

Rob,

You don't say what version of SIMH you tried or what platform you ran
it on.  I use SIMH (since v3.4) on my laptop Mac G4, OS X 10.4, and
on my desktop Intel Mac Pro, OS X 10.5.  You don't need TCP/IP on the
SIMH VAX -- DECnet works just fine, and will transfer your files to
your real VAX with all VMS file attributes intact.  If you don't have
any alternative, if you can make your .tap file available (download
or postal mail), I can probably get it on to a VMS-format CD to send
back to you (from a SIMH machine to our InfoServer, if it still works).

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov