[Simh] Readline support gone?

Philipp Hachtmann hachti at hachti.de
Tue Sep 16 23:07:29 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

I just wanted to migrate to SIMH 3.8.
When I defined HAVE_READLINE, I got a warning. After investigating, I
found out that the libreadline support has been removed from scp.c.
But in line 3078 ff there's still the following:
> #if defined (HAVE_READLINE)
> add_history (cptr);
>
> #endif

Who has screwed the readline support?!?

I once wrote a nice little patch and sent it to RMS - but he refused it
because it's "too much Linux dependent". My patch added full readline
support including a saved history etc. Later I noticed the new readline
support in SIMH. It was a bit broken and without saved history, but it
worked. And now it's gone again. WHY?

Another issue is that I once also reorganized the source code and wrote
a completely new set of makefiles, speeding up things a lot. Did not
seem to interest someone in this community.
The SIMH makefile is written like a batch file, must have been written
by someone who is clueless about what a make program is made for.

I really like to help getting things going, but I still have no clue how
to participate. Every effort I took in the past has been silently
ignored. I'm a bit sorry about that fact.

Best regards,
Philipp

--
http://www.hachti.de