[Simh] RSTS/E v96 installation

Bill Heaton wheaton at cryptocybernetics.com
Wed Mar 12 15:26:28 EDT 2008

Hi Fausto,

Sorry, I don't have a lot of experience with the layered products.  As
soon as I get the RSTS V9 Archive into reasonable shape, I'll be
heading in that direction.  There are several of the layered products
that I want to play with (again).  You may want to give the list more
information of what's happening and perhaps one of us will remember
something.

If you get it working. Don't forget to generate a "How-to" so that
others can benefit!

Regards, Bill

On Mar 12, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Fausto Saporito wrote:

> [...]
>> using to successfully sysgen the system.  Once your up, use DB0:
>> as your system device.  MM0: for the first tape, and MM1: for the
>> second tape.
>>
>> BTW: for those that are wondering.  I have all the piece for my first
>> release together.  Calling it the "RSTS V9 Archive".   Well over the
>> 50% mark for getting it out to the world.  I'm still tuning the
>> sysgen.
>>
>> Regards, Bill
>>
>> rsts-sysgen.ini
>> ============
>>
>> ; Disable devices, we'll enable what we need later
>> set CR disable
>> set DZ disable
>> set HK disable
>> set RK disable
>> set RL disable
>> set RP disable
>> set RQ disable
>> set RQB disable
>> set RQC disable
>> set RQD disable
>> set RX disable
>> set RY disable
>> ;set TA disable
>> set TC disable
>> set TM disable
>> set TS disable
>> set TQ disable
>> set TU disable
>> set VH disable
>> set XQ disable
>> set XQB disable
>> set XU disable
>> set XUB disable
>>
>> echo PDP-11/93 with 4 meg of memory
>> echo
>> set cpu 11/93
>> set cpu 4m
>> set cpu cis
>>
>> set RP enable
>> set RP0 RP04
>> attach RP0 RSTS_V9.RP04
>> echo RSTS_V9.RP04 mounted on RP0: (DB0:)
>>
>> set TU enable
>> set TU0 locked
>> set TU1 locked
>> attach TU0 rsts_v9_6_install.tap
>> attach TU1 rsts_v9_library.tap
>> echo rsts_v9_6_install.tap mounted on TU0 (MM0:)
>> echo rsts_v9_library.tap mounted on TU1 (MM1:)
>>
>> echo
>> echo "boot tu" to boot tape
>> echo "boot rp" to boot disk
>>

>> On Mar 12, 2008, at 11:06 AM, Fausto Saporito wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I'm installing the RSTS/E v9.6, unfortunately I don't have the right
>>> installation document, and I'm using that one related to RSTS/E 9.7
>>>
>>> During the installation I have the following request:
>>>
>>> Please mount the RSTS/E Library media and enter the
>>> name and unit number of the device.
>>> Valid device types are: 'MM', 'MS', 'MT', 'MU', 'DM' or 'DL'
>>>
>>> Library device? <_MU0:>
>>>
>>> What's this library media? I found in the trailing-edge ftp
>>> directory,
>>> a rsts_v9_library.zip
>>> Is this the correct file? Or is it too old?
>>>
>>> If I use it, I have the following:
>>>
>>> Restoring the System Startup files from the Library kit
>>> Restoring the System Library package from the Library kit
>>> File [1,2]LOGOUT.TSK not replaced
>>> File [1,2]DIRECT.TSK not replaced
>>> File [1,2]SYSTAT.TSK not replaced
>>> File [1,2]FILCOM.TSK not replaced
>>> File [1,2]ATPK  .TSK not replaced
>>> File [1,2]SAVRES.SAV not replaced
>>> File [1,2]TERMGR.TSK not replaced
>>> File [1,2]RDRXXX.TSK not replaced
>>> File [1,2]RDRIDS.TSK not replaced
>>>
>>> etc...
>>>
>>> Is it normal?
>>>
>>> After it, the installation seems to be fine, but F77, for example,
>>> is
>>> not installed, even if I choiced to install it.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> fausto