[Simh] RSTS/E v96 installation

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Wed Mar 12 14:34:18 EDT 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Fausto Saporito wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm installing the RSTS/E v9.6, unfortunately I don't have the right
> installation document, and I'm using that one related to RSTS/E 9.7
>
> During the installation I have the following request:
>
> Please mount the RSTS/E Library media and enter the
> name and unit number of the device.
> Valid device types are: 'MM', 'MS', 'MT', 'MU', 'DM' or 'DL'
>
> Library device? <_MU0:>
>
> What's this library media? I found in the trailing-edge ftp directory,
> a rsts_v9_library.zip
> Is this the correct file? Or is it too old?

Yes, this is correct.  The library tape was used in all V9.x installs.

> If I use it, I have the following:
>
> Restoring the System Startup files from the Library kit
> Restoring the System Library package from the Library kit
> File [1,2]LOGIN .TSK not replaced
> File [1,2]LOGOUT.TSK not replaced
> File [1,2]DIRECT.TSK not replaced
> File [1,2]SYSTAT.TSK not replaced
> File [1,2]FILCOM.TSK not replaced
> File [1,2]ATPK  .TSK not replaced
> File [1,2]SAVRES.SAV not replaced
> File [1,2]TERMGR.TSK not replaced
> File [1,2]RDRXXX.TSK not replaced
> File [1,2]RDRIDS.TSK not replaced
>
> etc...
>
> Is it normal?

Yes, this is normal.  The files are not replaced because they already
exist from the install tape.  Earlier versions of RSTS made you compile
ALL CUSP sources and either tokenize them with BASIC-PLUS (.BAC files)
or compile them with CSPCOM (the BP2 V1.6 compiler) to run under the
RSX run-time system (.TSK files).  Version 9 CUSPS were compiled with
the newer BP2 compiler (not supplied with RSTS).

> After it, the installation seems to be fine, but F77, for example, is
> not installed, even if I choiced to install it.
>
> thanks,
> fausto

The install tape will let you install the layered products directories
(such as BP2, F77 etc), but you had to obtain the layered product tapes
themselves, separately.

Brett