[Simh] Keyboard remapping, was: RTE-6/VM configuration

Göran Åhling ahling at eadc.se
Sun Jul 6 04:02:33 EDT 2008

This could be nice if you have a keyboard that is formatted according to
some "alternate" nationality design.
Myselft, most often using "Swedish/Finnish" keyboard design can get a
few character codes that, as viewed using US-eyes, are quite odd, by
just pressing my rightmost finger...

When using an eumlator, it might be of some interest to remap these, for
instance.

On the other hand, I'm mostly using the PDP-11 emulator myself, there is
a very nice function that connects a "serial port" (that also might be
the console serial port) towards the emulator using a TCP/IP-port of my
selection in the host machine. I can use any terminal emulator capable
of doing telnet to connect this serial port (from the same machine or
from another machine on the network). For example, I might use the
command "putty localhost 3000" to get the putty VTxx terminal emulator
program running on the same host to connect the console of the emulated
machine. (Note: The "emulated" machine doesn't know there is a
TCP/IP-network that does part of the job to connect, it just has a
regular serial port).

With this method, all  keyboard/character remapping is handled by the
terminal program, not by the emulator - Fix the problem right where it
is, not five steps later....

So, I suggest you find/develop a nice terminal emulator for the
favourite terminal of your choice, and if it is of your own development,
I also hope you will make it available publically as the SIMH itself!

Best regards,
Göran

I suggest you