[Simh] OpenVMS Networking questions

Peter Moreton petermoreton at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 09:28:04 EST 2008

Thanks, that PCAP issue explains the issue - I went off to another host on a different subnet, and after fixing the UCX Broadcast Mask, and Default Gateway on the interface, I can now Telnet into the VMS system.

Brilliant!

Subject: RE: [Simh] OpenVMS Networking questionsDate: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 07:04:10 -0600From: david.hittner at ngc.comTo: petermoreton at hotmail.co.uk; simh at trailing-edge.com

It's a limitation of how WinPCAP works that you cannot easily talk to the virtual machine on your own host - see the FAQ (Item 2.10).
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/pdf/simh_faq.pdf

If you choose to create a TAP adapter, to bridge a TAP adapter and a real adapter in WinXP, select both devices in the Networks Connections screen, right-click and select 'Bridge Connections'. Attach your virtual VAX to the TAP adapter.

Yes, you can run DECNET also.

I have OpenVMS 7.1 booted under SIMH / XP, have PCAP loaded, and have configured UCX TCP/IP services to have an IP address, and have enabled the TELNET service, but I cannot telnet into the VMS machine. As VMS boots, PINGs from my XP workstation to the VMS start to respond (so the ethernet adaptor must be up), and a TELNET session can be established to the VMS ip address, but I don't get the usual logon banner from Telnet. I'm sure it's something very simple.... any ideas? Also, does PCAP allow me to run DECnet as well as TCP/IP over the host machines ethernet?

Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!