[Simh] follow up on the "build" branch -- web site bad?

Peter Lund firefly at vax64.dk
Tue Sep 18 13:47:11 EDT 2007

Hi again.

I can see from the log files that five people took the bait in my last
post and looked at http://vax64.dyndns.org/repo/hg/build in their web
browsers.

Of the five:
      * None have used hg (mercurial).
      * 1 downloaded the source code (prefering the tar.bz2 format over
        zip, presumably because the file is smaller -- zip files are
        pretty awful compressionwise).
      * 2 use a PPC Macintosh.
      * 3 use Firefox 2.0, the 2 Mac guys and someone running "NT
        5.0" (Windows 2000, I think).
      * 1 uses Internet Explorer 7.0 on NT 5.1, .NET CLR 3.0 (Win XP up
        to date with .NET, I think).
      * 3 are from the US and 2 have IP# that geo ip doesn't know how to
        place.

Now, I get a bit curious.  Why were 5 people interested enough to look
at the repository site but only 1 person downloaded?  The rest seem to
have gotten stuck on the front page somehow.

Is the web front end to mercurial really that bad?

Is it too overwhelming?

-Peter

PS: To the two Mac OS guys: I would really like to hear your thoughts on
the portability.  What do you usually use to compile simh?  Does it work
well or do you have to fiddle with the makefile?  How does this makefile
work compared to the old one?