[Simh] follow up on the "build" branch -- web site bad?

Peter Lund firefly at vax64.dk
Tue Sep 18 14:20:16 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 19:47 +0200, Peter Lund wrote:

> Of the five:
>       * None have used hg (mercurial).
>       * 1 downloaded the source code (prefering the tar.bz2 format over
>         zip, presumably because the file is smaller -- zip files are
>         pretty awful compressionwise).
>       * 2 use a PPC Macintosh.
>       * 3 use Firefox 2.0, the 2 Mac guys and someone running "NT
>         5.0" (Windows 2000, I think).
>       * 1 uses Internet Explorer 7.0 on NT 5.1, .NET CLR 3.0 (Win XP up
>         to date with .NET, I think).
>       * 3 are from the US and 2 have IP# that geo ip doesn't know how to
>         place.

5 more have fallen into the trap:
 1 PPC OS X using Safari
 1 Intel OS X using Safari
 1 Win XP using Firefox 2.0
 1 Win XP (+ .NET 2.0) using IE 6.0
 1 Win 2K using IE 6.0

Interesting to see such variation.  Btw. to those who use IE 6.0: give
IE 7.0 a whirl if you can. It is so much better that I only miss
epiphany a little bit when I use it ;)

Two of them are from the US and three are from Good Old Europe.  Good to
see that :)

One of the Americans downloaded the sources (tip.tar.bz2) and one the
Europeans looked around a bit and then actually started to use hg
(mercurial) to download the full repository (which is easier to work
with than just a compressed archive is).  He (she?) then got on a
downloading spree and cloned the other repositories.  Great! :) :) :)

Mind you, not all of them are all that interesting yet.  It turns out
that the source code files are more mixed up with weird dependencies
than I'd thought so the code base isn't as agile and flexible as I'd
hoped.  Hence the slow progress...

If anybody else wants to play along at home and start cloning
repositories, you can find single-click installers for both Windows and
Mac OS X here:

	http://mercurial.berkwood.com/

It takes less than a minute from the time you click on that URL until
you have finished cloning the first repository (yes, I timed it about a
week ago when I first started using hg on Windows).

Here's a command line to get you started:

	hg clone http://vax64.dyndns.org/repo/hg/build

this will create a subdirectory called "build" containing a complete
clone of my build repository including full history.

-Peter