[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 46, Issue 6

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Thu Sep 6 21:45:53 EDT 2007

On various topics:

1. The \r is there because SimH crowbars stdout into raw mode, and on
some systems (most for that matter), that turns off the conversion of
\n to \r\n.  If you're logging or debugging to stdout, without the
\r, you get junk output.

There's a later API in SimH that handles this more gracefully
(courtesy of Dave Hittner), but many older simulators haven't been
retrofitted to use it.

2. OpenVMS on SimH.

HP has made its position perfectly clear on this.  It will not allow
commercial licenses on SimH because (a) SimH is not a supported
product, (b) SimH has not been qualified as a VAX (hasn't run the
architecture verification suite, which is not publicly accessible),
and (c) there is no business arrangement between the SimH project and
HP to ensure that the licenses are only run on HP systems.

I feel HP has been very understanding in providing and supporting the
hobbyist license program and see no reason to ask for a change.  I
agree with Rich Alderson that Charon VAX is the right answer for
commercial customers, as it is a commercial strength product with a
real support organization behind it.

/Bob Supnik