[Simh] slightly off-topic question

Phil Mendelsohn phil at rephil.org
Fri Nov 9 17:41:36 EST 2007

Tim Shoppa wrote:

> For a while internal to DEC there was a project called PRISM that
> would've been like a MIPS processor but running an OS called
> Emerald, which could execute VAX/VMS stuff too. But that's a pipe
> dream that has been dead for like twenty years.

IIRC, Alpha was decided to be the strategy pursued instead of PRISM.

This was also, IIRC, a highly "electro-political" move, and was part of
certain big names at DEC making career moves, some around that time,
some slightly later.

(Boy, I hope mentioning this doesn't start a flame war from starting the
way it will.)

Ah well, it's all spilt milk under the bridge...

--
"Nothing is too small to know, and nothing too big to attempt."
--Sir William Cornelius Van Horne