[Simh] slightly off-topic question

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at wmata.com
Fri Nov 9 12:16:40 EST 2007

> I apologize for posting an OpenVMS-specifc question to this list,
> but I'm positive that most of list members know more about
> OpenVMS than I do.

> I've seen a few posts where folks have had success running
> Ultrix on SIMH Vax emulation. This led me to wonder-
> Is it possible to rin OpenVMS on old Ultrix hardware?
> I've got a DecStation 5000 in my lab that ran Ultrix- it's
> not been used for much of anything in the last few years, though.
> OpenVMS on "bare iron" would be pretty sweet...

For a while internal to DEC there was a project called PRISM that
would've been like a MIPS processor but running an OS called
Emerald, which could execute VAX/VMS stuff too. But that's a pipe
dream that has been dead for like twenty years.

All that said, run SIMH on Ultrix and emulate the VAX running
VMS on it. I don't think anyone is actively using SIMH under
Ultrix so it'll take some work.

Tim.