[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 48, Issue 7

Bill Pechter pechter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 13:27:13 EST 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:49:40 -0500
> From: "John Floren" <slawmaster at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Simh] vt220 to an emulated VAX
> To: simh at trailing-edge.com
>
> I've finally got my VT-220 working, and now I must ask the obvious question:
> Is it possible to have VMS running under SIMH "see" the terminal
> directly attached to the serial port? I've currently got it working as
> a terminal for Linux, but I think it would be cool to let VMS use it
> instead.
>

> John
> --
> Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I see this as kind of an obvious hack...

If the emulator doesn't do direct writes to the screen in any
way...(you couldn't do this with the Pro350 emulator... I guess since
it emulates the graphics as well as PDP.)

Couldn't you get a getty up on Linux and then start the emulator under
it and then the console OPA0: device would be the TTY...

Not a second terminal, but it should let you run EDT and all of that...

The one problem is you couldn't really put a modem on it and
make it dial-up available since it's running logged in (usually as
root) and the user on that port could stop the emulation as well.

Bill

--
  d|i|g|i|t|a|l had it THEN.  Don't you wish you could still buy it now!
 pechter-at-gmail.com