[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 48, Issue 7

Edward Berry eaberry1 at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 9 18:37:43 EST 2007

Bill Pechter wrote:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:49:40 -0500
>> From: "John Floren" <slawmaster at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [Simh] vt220 to an emulated VAX
>> To: simh at trailing-edge.com
>>
>> I've finally got my VT-220 working, and now I must ask the obvious question:
>> Is it possible to have VMS running under SIMH "see" the terminal
>> directly attached to the serial port? I've currently got it working as
>> a terminal for Linux, but I think it would be cool to let VMS use it
>> instead.
>>

>> John
>> --
>> Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
>>

> I see this as kind of an obvious hack...
>
> If the emulator doesn't do direct writes to the screen in any
> way...(you couldn't do this with the Pro350 emulator... I guess since
> it emulates the graphics as well as PDP.)
>
> Couldn't you get a getty up on Linux and then start the emulator under
> it and then the console OPA0: device would be the TTY...
>
> Not a second terminal, but it should let you run EDT and all of that...
>
> The one problem is you couldn't really put a modem on it and
> make it dial-up available since it's running logged in (usually as
> root) and the user on that port could stop the emulation as well.
>
> Bill

Or use redirection like Phillip Wherry did to connect to
virtual console 8, but connect to a serial port instead?
/usr/local/vax/bin/vax </dev/ttyS0 >/dev/ttyS0 2>/dev/ttyS0   ??

Same precautions as above because the user could interrupt the
emulator, ATTach and DETach virtual devises, or stop the emulator and
run unix commands as root.