[Simh] SIMH console telnet useage

Alan Frisbie frisbie at Flying-Disk.com
Wed May 9 01:46:14 EDT 2007

I am trying to use Telnet to connect to the SIMH console,
but failing.   I suspect that I have a basic misunderstanding,
which someone will immediately spot.   :-)

My configuration is:

Laptop PC with Windows XP
SIMH V3.7-0
VAX emulation without Ethernet
Kermit-95 V2.1.3

>From the "sim>" prompt, I entered "set console telnet=555".
The response was "Listening on port 555 (socket 1920)",
followed by another "sim>" prompt.

I then ran the Kermit-95 dialer to create a Telnet connection
to IP 127.0.0.1 and port 555.   When I attempt to connect,
I get the message: "Trying 127.0.0.1... Failed.   Can't
connect to 127.0.0.1:555"

I also tried to connect from my Alpha VMS system, but
it failed with "connect to network object rejected".
If I unplugged the network cable from the laptop, the
connection attempt simply timed-out, showing that it
was at least communicating.

Suspecting that Zone Alarm might be causing connection
troubles, I turned it off and retried.   Same failures.

Is there something that I have totally misunderstood
about Telnet connections to the SIMH console?

Do I have to have the WinPCAP package installed to do
this?   (It currently is not installed)

Thanks,
Alan

--  Alan E. Frisbie               Frisbie at Flying-Disk.Com
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          323-256-2575
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065