[Simh] TSS/8 fortran

Daniel Baum daniel at type34.info
Mon May 7 15:21:37 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm new on this list, and also new to this aspect of computing.

I'm hardly a newbie to computing in general - I've been involved with
computers since the mid-1980s - but I've never had any contact with 1960s
and 1970s computers. I'm finding it quite fascinating.

I actually installed simh originally to get a look at the earliest Unixes. I
couldn't
resist getting my hands on the actual Kernighan and Ritchie C compiler(!).
However, I was also tempted to take a look at some of the other antique
systems on offer. Quite randomly I chose Decsys on the pdp-7 and TSS/8 on
the pdp-8.

I haven't really done much with the former - other than getting it to boot -
but I have been putting the
TSS/8 through its paces. I have got everything to work "as advertised"
except the Fortran compiler. I don't actually know much about Fortran, but
it won't compile _anything_ at all. It simply quits with an error code that
doesn't appear in the documentation - 6204.

Does anyone know how to get it to work?

Daniel