[Simh] SIMH on VMS I64

Jeremy Begg jeremy at vsm.com.au
Tue Jun 12 01:56:28 EDT 2007

Hi,

>                I've uncovered a small number of things that probably ought to
>get addressed in the next simh release.  there are some changes in the
>DESCRIP.MMS file for VMS (a couple missing/misplaced modules) that are minor in
>nature.  In addition, I believe that all the cases of checking for __ALPHA in the
>source code should probably also include __IA64 so that, for example, large file
>support works on I64 VMS like it does on Alpha VMS.

Just a comment on this issue (without having looked at the code) ... The
same source files are used to build OpenVMS on Alpha and IA64, and the vast
majority of application code doesn't need to know the difference between
these two platforms.  VAX on the other hand has a different code base and
there are application differences.  So where in the past a program might
have had

   #ifdef __ALPHA
    ... Alpha-specific stuff
   #else
    ... VAX-specific stuff
   #endif

the customary change for building the program on IA64 is to change the
above to

   #ifndef __VAX
    ... Alpha- and IA64 stuff
   #else
    ... VAX-specific stuff
   #endif

(Of course, the logic can be reversed, i.e. "#ifdef __VAX", if that's more
appropriate.)

Regards,

        Jeremy Begg

  |            VSM Software Services Pty. Ltd.              |
  |                 http://www.vsm.com.au/                  |
  |       "OpenVMS Systems Management & Programming"        |
  | P.O.Box 402, Walkerville, |  E-Mail:  jeremy at vsm.com.au |
  | South Australia 5081      |   Phone:  +61 8 8221 5188   |
  |  A.C.N. 068 409 156       |     FAX:  +61 8 8221 7199   |