[Simh] Devices and device names in simh?

Hittner, David T. david.hittner at ngc.com
Wed Jul 11 17:44:06 EDT 2007

No, you can't rename the device at the SIMH level. I've had this problem
before, with both real and SIMH VAXes.

Use a system logical in VMS system startup to define a synonym for a
similar device: Example:
 $Define/System/Exec dia0 dua0:

You need to be careful about using the colon; sometimes it works and
sometimes not - after a  little experimentation you will get it right.
Depending on VMS version and use, the synonym may also require a
preceding underscore.

If you can't figure out the syntax, email me, and I'll dig a real DIA0
synonym out of my VMS system archives.

Dave