[Simh] Devices and device names in simh?

Edward Berry eaberry1 at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 11 17:08:30 EDT 2007

Dear all,
I am restoring a historic (well, to me at lest) vax configuration
from stand-alone-backup tape to the simulator.
It seems to be working, but how much flexibility do I have
in device names?

In the original configuration, the system disk was DIA0.
After googling I understand the naming convention a little,
and apparently DIxx is a disk mounted
in a DSSI cabinet, not on the local scsi bus.

I read the tape on a linux machine, enblocked it and mounted as MUA0,
and restored the system disk with backup/image. No errors.

Then I attach the restored system disk as DUA0: and boot it.
Amazingly it actually came up and let me log in with system password.
But there were lots of error messages.
Most serious had to do with device names: DIA0-1 and
the ethernet adapter which in the orig machine
was (#VMS_Device se0) EZA0
on simh it is XQA0:

For the sake of an authentic restoration, and to save me from
editing all the config files, is there any way to have a disk
image mounted as DIAx, and to have the enet adapter be EZAO?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Ed