[Simh] Shutdown of Vax from Linux shutdown script

Odilon Mader lists at luminainfo.com.br
Mon Feb 5 17:23:49 EST 2007

At 17:34 05/02/07, Tim Pinkawa wrote:
>I'm not too well versed in init scripts, but another issue would be
>allowing the guest operating system enough "grace time" to shut down.
>I know on Windows and probably on Linux, if a particular shutdown
>"task" doesn't complete in a short period (usually only a few seconds)
>the process is killed. You would need to be able to guarantee at least
>30-60 seconds to allow a proper shutdown of the guest.
>
>Tim

I can speak about Red Hat/Fedora (I guess System V based Linuxes are the same):

In the (init.d's) halt script there's a hard-coded 5 seconds delay
between SIGTERM and SIGKILL. You could make this longer or even code
a looping test to see if simh has stopped.

But halt only runs after normal (and somewhat blocking) shutdown of
every running service (service here being anything you have in init.d
scripts). So it would be better to have a simh.shutdown script that
takes care of sending that signal and waiting for the emulator to stop.

Odilon