[Simh] Terminal emulation

Hittner, David T. david.hittner at ngc.com
Wed Nov 22 08:13:00 EST 2006

One a VT100 series terminal, there were 4 special function keys:
    PF1 (Gold), PF2, PF3, PF4
These are usually mapped to the top row of the PC Keypad, onto NumLock,
'/', '*', and '-' keys, repectively.

In the VT200 series terminal, there were lots of new special keys in
addition to the VT100 special keys:
    F1 -> F20
Which on PC Keyboard are usually mapped to the F1-F12 keys, with the
higher ones (F13-F20) usually being mapped to some SHIFT or ALT key
combinations.
The VT200 series special keys are generally not used for most operating
system programs. In Digital software, only the higher programs like
DECForms and All-In-One made use of the VT200 special keys. The one
notable exception is the TPU editor, which by default mapped VT200
special function keys.

Look for a VT2xx, VT3xx, VT4xx, or VT5xx series manual to see which
virtual F-key the Do, Help, etc. keys correspond to, then look at the
emulator docs to see which physical key the virtual F-key is mapped to.

Most low/no-cost terminal emulators emulate VT100 functions because they
map easily to a PC keyboard. VT200 keyboard (LK201) functionality is not
intuitive because the DEC keyboard had more keys than the standard
101/104 key PC keyboard. PuTTY is a good low-cost solution, as it works
for almost all emulations and supports encryption, but every once in a
while you will find some inaccuracies in the key map or terminal/X
emulation.

When emulation accuracy is more important than cost, I HIGHLY recommend
either HP's Pathworks 32 (for the [Digital] eXcursion X Server and
[Ericom] PowerTerm 525 terminal emulator) OR Hummingbird's Exceed (X
Server) and Connectivity Secure Shell (SSH encryption for X) for use
with the Digital operating systems. The accuracy of these emulations is
*much* better than lower cost solutions. Ericom's PowerTerm terminal
emulator (which is provided as part of HP's Pathworks 32) can also be
purchased separately.

Dave Hittner