[Simh] Terminal emulation

Vorländer, Martin MV at PDV-SYSTEME.DE
Wed Nov 22 08:31:53 EST 2006

Zachary Kline wrote:
> However, I've recently installed OpenVMS on the simulated
> VaxServer 3900.  I'm not sure about a few points, though the
> most frustrating for me is terminal emulation.  I have PuTTY
> for Windows, which I am using as my VMS system console - at
> least until I get my license PAKS and can load up TCP/IP.
> What I'm wondering is mostly if anyone could desceribe to me
> the general layout of the Vt102 terminal?  PuTTY seems to
> emulate Xterm, which emulates VT102.  I've seen a number of
> references to a Gold key, as well as keys labeled help, do,
> etc.  Any information on what these are would be appreciated.

Hittner, David T. answered:
> Most low/no-cost terminal emulators emulate VT100 functions
> because they map easily to a PC keyboard. VT200 keyboard
> (LK201) functionality is not intuitive because the DEC
> keyboard had more keys than the standard 101/104 key PC
> keyboard. PuTTY is a good low-cost solution, [...]

In the low-cost range of terminal emulators for MS Windows,
I'd recommend Kermit 95 (don't be fooled by the name, I use it
on Win2k and XP), see http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/
Kermit95 emulates a VT320.

> When emulation accuracy is more important than cost, I HIGHLY
> recommend either HP's Pathworks 32 (for the [Digital]
> eXcursion X Server and [Ericom] PowerTerm 525 terminal
> emulator) OR Hummingbird's Exceed (X Server) and Connectivity
> Secure Shell (SSH encryption for X) for use with the Digital
> operating systems. The accuracy of these emulations is *much*
> better than lower cost solutions. Ericom's PowerTerm terminal
> emulator (which is provided as part of HP's Pathworks 32) can
> also be purchased separately.

If you can find it, KEA! (nee KEAterm) is a very good alternative,
too. AFAIK, Attachmate has stopped development of this outstanding
terminal emulator - what a pity!

cu,
  Martin
--
 O Lord, won't you buy me     | Martin Vorlaender  |  OpenVMS rules!
 an HP OS                     | work: mv at pdv-systeme.de
 its name starts with "Open"  |   http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
 and ends in "VMS" ...        | home: martin at radiogaga.harz.de