[Simh] VMS images

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Fri Nov 17 18:37:14 EST 2006

"John Floren" <slawmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Replying to my own post here, but I have managed to find the image and
> I am downloading it now. Once I get it downloaded, I'd like to burn it
> to a CD as a backup. I've seen elsewhere that the image needs to be
> written in some specific way in order for it to work correctly; can
> somebody tell me how to do this?

You have to tell your burning software that the file is a ISO-9660
or "ISO image". Even though that is technically incorrect in the case
of a ODS-2 CD like a VMS distribution.

If you don't do this, most CD-burning software will make a CD that's
ISO-9660 with one big *.dsk file in the ISO-9660 filesystem, not what
you want.

I use cdrecord, in which case the command like looks like
"cdrecord -v speed=16 dev=2,0 vms.dsk". With windows-based
burning software you probably have to find some obscure option
in some menu.

Tim.