[Simh] Throttle bug

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Wed May 17 21:33:21 EDT 2006

What you don't want to see is a throttle value of 1 - that's bad!!

I'm going to redo the initialization routine.  I'll create an install
process that determines what the minimum value should be for your system
(with user input) and then embed that in the startup routine...

Give me a couple of days - I'll post a message when it's ready..

Villy

On Wednesday, May 17, 2006 18:36, Robert Bustichi
[SMTP:rsb at smc911dispatch.org] wrote:
> [...]
>

> $ @throttle
> Mapped to VBN      1048589  return code was         1561
>   old setting was      0
>   new setting is      0
> FORTRAN STOP
> Mapped to VBN      1048589  return code was         1561
>
> --> A READTHROTTLE from another session returned
>
> $ run readthrottle
> Mapped to VBN      1048589  return code was         1561
> Current Throttle Setting ==>      1
> FORTRAN STOP
>
> --> I did RESETTHROTTLE form another session
>
>           50           129
>           50           132
>           50           129
>           34            88
>           34            88
>           34            88
>           23            58
> MinVal =           23
> Writing         1001 to offset           65
>   Adding entry at            1
>   Adding entry at            2
>   Adding entry at            3
>   Adding entry at            4
>   Adding entry at            5
>   Adding entry at            6
>   Adding entry at            7
>   Adding entry at            8
>   Adding entry at            9
>   Adding entry at           10
>   Adding entry at           11
>   Adding entry at           12
>   Adding entry at           13
>   Adding entry at           14
>   Adding entry at           15
>   Adding entry at           16
>

> Villy Madsen wrote:
> > Guess what Robert - it did it to me today.
> >
> > You can run readthrottle to read the current state of the throttle.
> >
> > In my case it was set to 1.
> >
> > A quick fix is to
> >
> > Stop throttle
> >
> > run resetthrottle (out of whatever directory these programs are in)
> >
> > submit sys$startup:throttle to resubmit the job
> >
> > When I ran READTHROTTLE it showed a value of 1 - which means that a 1ms
> > sleep is thrown in every 400 vax instructions - a more reasonable value
for
> > my system is a minimum of 4.
> >

> > If you can send me a throttle log showing this problem - that would
help me
> > to debug the problem.
> >
> > What I am looking for looks like this:
> >          11           176
> >          11           176
> >          11           170
> >           8           132
> >           8           139
> >           8           139
> >           6            96
> >           6            94
> >           6            94
> >           4            76
> >           4            58
> > MinVal =            4
> >
> > The first number is the cpu sleep control value, and the 2nd number is
> > expected performance in tenths of a VUP.  In other words  a control
value
> > of 4 - giving us a 1ms sleep every 1600 instructions equates to a .6
VUP

[SMTP:robert at smrn.com]
> > wrote:
> >
> >>On the latest version of throttle you posted on 5/9, there seems to be
> >>bug.  Here is what happens.
> >>
> >>I boot up VMS on SIMH and Throttle gets submitted.
> >>After the two minutes, I see the host (Windows 2003) CPU usage drop
like
> >>it should.  But, SIMH is very, very slow and remains slow.  The host
CPU