[Simh] Throttle bug

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Wed May 17 19:49:34 EDT 2006

Guess what Robert - it did it to me today.

You can run readthrottle to read the current state of the throttle.

In my case it was set to 1.

A quick fix is to

Stop throttle

run resetthrottle (out of whatever directory these programs are in)

submit sys$startup:throttle to resubmit the job

When I ran READTHROTTLE it showed a value of 1 - which means that a 1ms
sleep is thrown in every 400 vax instructions - a more reasonable value for
my system is a minimum of 4.

If you can send me a throttle log showing this problem - that would help me
to debug the problem.

What I am looking for looks like this:
         11           176
         11           176
         11           170
          8           132
          8           139
          8           139
          6            96
          6            94
          6            94
          4            76
          4            58
MinVal =            4

The first number is the cpu sleep control value, and the 2nd number is
expected performance in tenths of a VUP.  In other words  a control value
of 4 - giving us a 1ms sleep every 1600 instructions equates to a .6 VUP
vax running on my 1.5  ghz P3 running w/98SE.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Villy