[Simh] Problems with OS/8

Vince Mulhollon vlm at mulhollon.com
Wed Dec 20 16:27:34 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 07:07:26PM +0000, Richard Hunt wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I am trying to work out OS/8 using the OS8_Handbook_Apr1974.pdf,
> but I am having some trouble. I cannot work out how to access a storage
> device other than the system device. I am using the software kit from
> the simh webstite and starting pdp8 with the following commands:
>
> att rx0 Disks/os8_rx.dsk
> att rx1 Disks/os8f4_rx.dsk
> att dt0 Disks/working
> boot rx0
>
> OS/8 starts and I get the . prompt and help, dir etc work correctly, but
> I think there is not space left on the disk so I tried adding the DEC
> tape. Here are the errors I have had:
>
> .DIR DTA0:
> DTA0 DOES NOT EXIST

Probably you don't have the driver loaded for DTA devices, which
is nonintuitively called "TC"

To verify, from the OS8 prompt, run "R BUILD" and you should get a
dollar sign prompt.  At the dollar sign prompt type PRINT and hit enter.
If you had a TC driver you'd see something like this cut and paste
from my machine:

.R BUILD

$PRINT

RX01: *RXA0 *RXA1
KL8E: *TTY
LPSV: *LPT
RK8E: *SYS
PT8E: *PTP  *PTR
TC  : *DTA0  DTA2  DTA3  DTA4  DTA5  DTA6  DTA7
TM8E: *MTA0  MTA2  MTA3  MTA4  MTA5  MTA6  MTA7
RF  : *RF    NULL
RK05: *RKA0 *RKB0 *RKA1 *RKB1  RKA2  RKB2  RKA3  RKB3

DSK=RF:RF
$

Note the line TC which is the device driver and of the eight supported
devices I'm only loading DTA0.

Now rebuilding to include other drivers is a good hours entertainment.

Here is my cruddy cheatsheet using a different set of system disks where
I transfer a system from two floppys to a RK drive.  I provide no guarantee
but this might help you understand the numerous steps in the build of an OS8.

The distribution floppy disk images (originally) came from:
http://www.pdp8.net/images/images/misc_floppy.shtml
os8_v3d_bin_1.rx01
os8_v3d_bin_2.rx01

Boot off the "distribution RX disks" in rxa0: and rxa1:
.set sys no init
.zero rka0:
.zero rkb0:
.copy rka0:<rxa0:
.copy rka0:<rxa1:*.sv
.copy rka0:<rxa1:*.rl
.copy rka1:<rxa1:*.bn
.copy rka1:<rxa1:*.sy
.copy rkb1:<rxa1:*.pa
.r build
$unload rk05
$unload rx8e
$load rxa1:rk8esy.bn
$insert rk8e:sys
$load rxa1:pt8e.bn
$insert pt8e:ptp
$insert pt8e:ptr
$load rxa1:tc08ns.bn
$insert tc:dta0
$insert tc:dta1
$load rxa1:tm8e.bn
$insert tm8e:mta0
$insert tm8e:mta1
$load rxa1:rf08ns.bn
$insert rf:rf
$load rxa1:rk8ens.bn
$insert rk05:rka0
$insert rk05:rkb0
$insert rk05:rka1
$insert rk05:rkb1
$sys rk8e
$dsk rf:rf
$boot
.save sys build
.save rka0 build

I thought I set up DTA1: in addition to DTA0:, will have to figure out
where that got lost...

Sometimes, depending on your drivers, you get to assemble them first, like
for a SBC6120, which is a bit beyond this discussion.

Anyways good luck and happy holidays