[Simh] Problems with OS/8

Richard Hunt richard.hunt500 at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 20 14:07:26 EST 2006

Hi,
	I am trying to work out OS/8 using the OS8_Handbook_Apr1974.pdf,
but I am having some trouble. I cannot work out how to access a storage
device other than the system device. I am using the software kit from
the simh webstite and starting pdp8 with the following commands:

att rx0 Disks/os8_rx.dsk
att rx1 Disks/os8f4_rx.dsk
att dt0 Disks/working
boot rx0

working doesn't exist, so simh creates a new file.

OS/8 starts and I get the . prompt and help, dir etc work correctly, but
I think there is not space left on the disk so I tried adding the DEC
tape. Here are the errors I have had:

.DIR DTA0:
DTA0 DOES NOT EXIST

.AS DTA0
DTA0 NOT AVAILABLE

etc. What do I need to get the DECtape working. Is there another device
that it would be easier to use for storage?

The handbook I am using seems to refer to an earlier version of OS/8
than the version in the software kit, since it doesn't mention a
version for RX disks, is there a newer manual I could try?

Thanks for any help,
Richard Hunt

PS. Thanks to everyone who created simh, I am having fun playing with
the simulators.